Friday, February 22, 2019

Loving the Privilege to Share @FairfieldPubLib OBOT of @JackieWoodson Books in Fairfield County, Connecticut.

The day we began is the The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson and Rafael Lòpez.

I was thrilled to learn that 50 copies of this book, as well as 150 copies of Harbor Me, were delivered to my Canisius office at Fairfield University for One Book, One Town, so I can deliver them to Bridgeport teachers for use with their incredible students, movers and shakers, thinkers and doers, believers and lovers of stories and words.

Stories.

That's what this work represents - the ability to promote voice and perspective within the heterogeneity of Connecticut Schools. As I unpacked the boxes, I felt like I had magic in my hands...a power to provide fellow educators with brilliance, literacy, and possibility. Jacqueline Woodson's words, coupled with Rafael Lòpez's illustrations are the perfect message to deliver within the youth-advocacy work of the Connecticut Writing Project.

I already shared The Day You Begin with a 100 middle school students and you could hear a pin drop as they thought about the stories they wanted to tell, to share, and to advocate for their lived experiences. We read as writers and we began to write. I look forward to doing more of these workshops.

Today, however, I will be delivering these books, as well as 150 copies of Harbor Me to K-8 teachers. It is a mission to promote storytelling, multiculturalism, pride, and belonging.

"Dr. Crandall, I love this book because it helps me to tell my story."

It is true, and that is why I'm proud to do a Woodson release. My goal is to use the content of The Day You Begin and Harbor Me as a reading experience that will resonate the teachers and kids I love to work with.

We are so fortunate that Jacqueline Woodson was selected for One Book, One Town. March 18th will be a beautiful event for our community. I am so honored to spread these words throughout out region.

No comments:

Post a Comment