Sunday, March 10, 2019

With Respect For Butch & Sue, The Paybacks Are Real. Youth Is Wasted on the Young. Oh, To Be Young Again.

I attended the Milford St. Patrick's Day Parade yesterday afternoon, but the truth is we never saw much of the parade. Instead, my friends knew that downtown Milford would be a zoo of people, and they recommended we find somewhere to eat to begin the shenanigans.

I drove separately. I drank water. I was hungry, but I knew I needed to accomplish a lot later in the day.

So, I got up, wrote, ran, walked the dog, cleaned a little, and then drove to meet them for lunch.

They were dropped off, which was an indicator that their day was going to be a lot longer than mine. I knew that Chitunga and his friends were coming in from Syracuse and we were going to get Paradise Pizza. As a result, I left early so I could get groceries and come home and finish cleaning. Then I asked Chitunga, "What's your estimated time of arrival?" He reported 10 p.m., so I did a "Roger" and went back to cleaning. Knowing they would be in later, I decided to lie down for a little big and pretend to nap. Didn't work, so I got up and started preparing for the week. That's when I got a text saying it would be more like 11 or 11:30. "But stay up," it read. "Joe wants to have a drink with you before he goes to bed. Don't fall asleep."

Dude. At 11:30, I'm already asleep. What do you mean stay up?

Of course, I stayed up. They are only in CT for 24 hours before they head to Spring Break in Puerto Rico - a trip I've never made, but one that I'm happy for, because Chitunga doesn't allow himself many breaks (cough cough, doesn't sound like anyone I know).

I inflated a guest bed (because I needed one for everyone coming) and then remembered that Chitunga said, "We'll get Paradise Pizza. Don't cook."

I didn't cook, but they ate in Amsterdam, when Chitunga stopped to pick them up at their own homes. I lose out. And he texts, "We have a full day on Sunday, and won't be home much."

They leave for the airport at night!

All of this is to say, "What comes around, goes around," and I deserve it. Earlier years stressed me out waiting for the car to enter the driveway so I knew he was safe, but I recognize his independence now and the fact that when I'm not around, he has no one but himself to be responsible to. I also know that I have no problem sleeping or staying in my groove while he's away because we always text one another right before we go to bed. Alas, he will be in this house tonight - probably rearing to go - when I should already be counting the zzzz's.

My dad turned 77 this week. He was 53 when I was 23. I was already in KY by then, and when I came home, it was family time, but also friend time. He and my mom were still working, but I was cruising along my post-undergraduate days where going to bed at 3 a.m. was normal. Two hours after I went to bed, my father was already out the door to work.

I don't know how they did it - with 3 of us. Of course, they have always been better nappers than I'll ever be.

Alas, let them sojourn Connecticut today, as I have the Keynote to prepare, my graduate course, and an author visit. I'm simply remembering the Yoga-breathing techniques I once learned a long time ago, and will work hard to find my ommmmmmmmmmmm.

ummmmmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment