Friday, March 29, 2019

Dapper Thursday Because of an Unexpected Gift (Didn't Don the Bow Tie, Though...Yet)


My colleague, Dr. Diana Hulse, ordered me a bow-tie and handkerchief set to show her appreciation for my 'look' at work...that is, pocket squares with ties, sports jackets, and blue jeans. I have to admit I came to pocket squares late in life and I really do love them - they add a little oomph to the everyday, and make for a little more funk in my step, and pep to my teaching.

I am extremely thankful.

I am now realizing that the purple also matches my colleagues hat....so appreciative of such gifts brought to me in a wrapped up package from someone who should be thinking about her retirement (where gifts are given to her and not the other way around).

He sneezes. As I said in the GSEAP faculty meeting, everything is in bloom, including allergies. I've been sneezing for 3 months now. Fun. Fun. Fun.

Today, I have monumental goals to get on top of budgets, grants, and proposal reviews (I am looking through a number of applications for the next round of a major national grant - proud to be asked). I'm more concerned, however, with working my way through Work Day, our new accounting software that is supposed to make work easier, but that has tripled the amount of work I have to do on a daily basis.

Ah, progress. I was waving the white flag before, but now I'm standing on the roof top waving it. Someone needs to stop purchasing technology that does not make work easier, but that adds 8 more hours to everyday that none of us have time for. Still, the work has to get done.

Thank God It's Friday. Because I will have all day Saturday and Sunday to try to catch up. Very interesting times we live in where the workweek has crept into a 7-days-a-week cycle with fewer and fewer people employed to get the work done. Seems the Administrative progressives have won out - as a colleague said recently, "There's a reason why unions were formed and people fought for the laborer's rights."

Exploitation seems to be where we are right now...fewer around to do the work, but with more and more expected to get the work done. It's just gross. I see it. I experience it. And I wonder, "What can we do about it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment