Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Laurie Halse Anderson! TESOL Panel! Jacqueline Woodson! Now It's Time For Writing Our Lives!

"Um, Bryan," Gina updates me, "We have over 170 pre-registered youth for Friday's conference." It was my first day back to the University after last week's bookstore event with Laurie Halse Anderson, and discussing my research with youth at TESOL in Atlanta. My mind was on Jacqueline Woodson's Quick Center talk, but also the two hours of literacy work with middle and high school students in my Educational Research course before we attended her keynote.

"170?," I inquire. "That's great, isn't it?"

This Friday, Fairfield University's spring break will host Empowering Our Communities and Beyond, a joint enterprise between CWP-Fairfield and Fairfield Warde's Voices for Equity. The goal is to have students presenting to students and to use writing as a vehicle for social change.

Over the weekend, the stickers arrived and Gina quickly brought them to Warde so they could create an assembly line to make the writers' notebooks. For one day, young people will present to young people about the work they are doing in their high schools to promote literacy, to close achievement gaps, and to challenge curricular decisions made by their schools. I am very excited to be involved in the entire effort and am very proud of the parent/teaching/youth community of Fairfield Warde High School for pushing forward their 3rd year of youth advocacy work. It is a delight to be involved with the National Writing Project.

On a more worrisome note, the cough is back. I felt it sneak in as I slept Sunday night, and I woke up with the phlegm returned. The sad thing is that everyone who suffered the cold/flu/gook in January are all reporting it's come back in March. Lord, what is this crud and why is it hovering. I thought it was over and I've had great runs the last few weeks, but coughing now - a sign of its return  - it simply not an option (unless it is).

Rest. Rest. Rest. Phew. It's something.

And I need my health for this week: too many teachers and young people have been doing amazing work in our schools. It needs to be celebrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment