Thursday, March 28, 2019

When Crazy Lil' Monsters Match Laptops and Fun Activities to Think Through Philosophies of Education

Yesterday started with a 2.5 hour turbo class and a stomach virus. I made my way through. At one point, I did an activity that was taught to me by a 4th grader - write a basic sentence. Pass it to the right. Draw what was written. Pass the drawing. Write a sentence to correspond with the drawing. Do it again several times. Draw what it written. Write what is seen. Be sure to cover all the previous sentences and drawings so text is interpreted in art form, and then art from is made into sentences.

This required finger puppets of course, as we contemplated Dewey, Freire, Greene and Kristina Rizga's Mission High. Why? Each of the students are to work towards their individual creeds for education.

Fast forward to the afternoon...2 hours of professional development for middle school teachers. Here, we did a consultancy protocol and maneuvered our way through dilemmas and problems in our practice.

Move ahead: a radio recording with teacher-writer-leader Jack Powers. Another 12-hour day that has me in awe, admiration, and total celebration of in-service teachers and pre-service teachers on their way.

As for me? Okay. Sleep is in order, as is mindlessness. As I noted, the day began with a stomach bug and I know it was still hovering with me for the rest of the day. Still, I didn't have time to stop because the calendar wouldn't allow it. That day is coming and I can't wait.

Just one more long day this week and then I can rest and, more importantly, reflect. Proud of those I am fortunate to work with, but knowing there's a limit to my personal sustainability.

This has been one heck of a semester and one day I hope I'm able to say, "Wow. Look at all that happened." NCTEAR, TESOL, MLK Essay contest, Jacqueline Woodson, Laurie Halse Anderson, a Writing Our Lives Youth Voices Conference, a MLK Youth Leadership Academy, teaching and the other everyday routines. These past three months were packed.

Now I need time to unpack them.

No comments:

Post a Comment