Thursday, March 21, 2019

Hmmm. What Does Feeding 170 Middle and High School Students Look Like for Under $200

On Tuesday, the incredible Gina Ludlow and my graduate assistant Joanna Warren joined me on a shopping excursion to buy breakfast snacks for 170+ middle and high school youth who will be coming to Fairfield University for the joint enterprise of Fairfield Warde Voices of Equity and the Connecticut Writing Project's Empowering Our Communities and Beyond: A Writing Our Lives Event.

I should know by now that doubling the numbers we expect in attendance should be the norm. When we first began the collaboration, we thought the goal should be around 80 students. Nope. We always surpass our expectations.

Little Bites. Pop Tarts (even Unicorn pop tarts). Fruit. Juices. Nibbles. We're all good. When the kids arrive on Friday to participate in the teacher and student-led workshops, they will have their tummies filled.

By count, this will be the largest Writing Our Lives event at Fairfield University to date. The response has been overwhelming and school communities are using the daylong conference as an award for their stellar students to attend. We should be proud - especially because our mix of communities is going to be at an all-time high.

Writing and activism goes hand in hand.

I'm still running on the high of the American Creed screening in Stamford last night and the fruitful conversation and connections made afterward. I was proud to make it on I-95 in record time, not expecting to have fluid traffic (does that ever happen?).

In the meantime, I'm still unsure if I have a cold or if allergy season has arrived sooner than usual. I've been a sneezing and coughing hot mess. I'm simply tired to it (and I know. I know. This is Spring Break and I should be giving myself a break. Alas, this is also a time to make things happen).

Thursday, today, will be about inhaling. Just one more event! Friday! We got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment