Saturday, March 9, 2019

Will Finally Represent #Breadloaf in Spirit Thanks to The Hard Work of a Pomperaug H.S. Senior & His Hard Work

I've been wanting Adirondack chairs for my backyard ever since I move to my Mt. Pleasant home. Maybe it is because I live in a yellow house (no green shudders) that I've craved the wooden chairs for my outdoor landscape - a landscape I first learned from Bread Loaf School of English. For the last 8 years I've looked for the chairs, peeped them online, and simply gave in to my economical practicality not to buy them. I've been waiting for the right time, the right location, the right price, and the right style.

That is when French teacher, Ms. Kelly, who works at Pomperaug High School in Southbury, Connecticut said, "We have a teacher at our school who works with kids to make these chairs."

I wrote to Ms. Carpenter (her name is Caryn Carpenter), the wood-shop teacher, and she put me in touch with a student, Gunnar, who was assigned to my request - two chairs.


Gunnar contacted me in a professional manner, inquired about my request and said he'd love to take on the job. Last November, I replied, "Go for it." During every step of the way, Gunnar sent me updates and photos of the project, treating his carpentry and artwork as a pro! I would later find out that one of my neighbors, Mr. Blanchett, a counselor at the school, also had Gunnar as one of his seniors. We tried a few ways to get the chairs to my house in Southern Connecticut, but nothing worked. Yesterday, however, we had the vehicle, the space, and the time to make the transition happen.

I'm more than thrilled by the work of Gunnar, Class of 2019, and in our textual exchanges, I inquired about his name - very Danish, indeed. It turns out that his grandmother was from Denmark and I told him about my friendship of a mentor in Denmark, Gunnar, who shared his name. He reported he's never been to Denmark and I'm hoping it will be a post-high school experience he'll allow himself.

He did extremely well and I'm proud for numerous reasons. The first, of course, is that I finally have my chairs. More importantly, however, is the vision of Pomperaug to mentor seniors like Gunnar into a hands-on trade that teaches a skill that can be carried to a post-high school career. It's a win-win-win situation. I got my Adirondack chairs, Gunnar had the opportunity to work with me as a customer, and his school is providing space and time to help him to be successful. If only more of our schools committed such time and mentorship to their students.

I asked Gunnar if he'd send a photo so I could include it in this morning's post and he sent the one to the right. I could have bought two chairs and never know who made them. With respect to the craft-manship, time, and care, however, of an artist like Gunnar, I wanted to give credit where credit is due. As of March 9th, the chairs are a part of the home in CT. The chairs will always be a celebration of his hard work and I will always tell the story of the investment he and his school made in making this purchase possible.

I am feeling lucky, indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment