Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Hmmm. If I Had The Gavel In a Court of Law, What Legalities Would I Make Illegal? Nice Prompt, Mike Isgar.

This from my brother-in-law's book of writing prompts: What legal things would you make illegal if you could?

Well, every summer I give this prompt to teachers and students when we're working through our personal pet-peeves. It's not new news that I would first ban one's ability to leave grocery carts in the parking lot, when one can simply walk them back to the front of the store. I've written about this before. I don't understand the leaving of grocery carts all over the lots. It's just wrong.

I would also go after those who drive 45 mph in the far left lane of any highway. These are individuals who will drive side by side other people going under the speed limit, holding everyone behind them absolutely hostage. It makes me want to require more viewing of the rearview mirror.

I know my parents and others in retirement land would be against this, but I think it should be illegal for retirees to go to grocery stores on weekends. They have M-F to shop, so on weekends, when everyone is rushing to get their weekly shopping done, it would be wonderful not to have aisles cluttered with those who read every label, operate at sloth-like speed, and move about in space-consuming motor-carts not impeding movement in every aisle. I know that is harsh, but I think there can be a compromise somewhere.

I might also work on creating action litigation. That is, I want to hold people accountable to their words by measuring them up with the actions they take on a daily basis. The saying, "Your actions speak louder than words" should be litigated in court. I'm in higher education, so I know the language of words and expression are at a heightened level. I simply want to say, however, but what actions have you enacted to meet the words you espouse. That seems like it would be a no-brainer, but I've learned otherwise. There are many, many words without any acts to back them up. That, I feel, should be triable in courts. Again, not likely, but that's what this morning's prompt asked me.

Finally, I get the policing of American public schools to be accountable to what they're supposed to teach and assess. I feel, however, that until resources are given to teachers, students, districts and administrators to actually carry forth the instruction expected of them, we should not be making kids and teachers accountable. I'm also weary of the assessments they use, as they don't necessarily measure what is important, helpful, or useful for college and career-readiness.

Quite the soap-box report, but I'm heading into a 14 hour a day and the gavel was put into the court of Crandall. These are items I'd address if I had the power to make things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment