Sunday, March 24, 2019

Sometimes This Aging Thing Trips Me Up and I'm Not Sure What I'm Supposed To Do With It


The sweaty armpits remain the same. There are no grays, however; here I am filling in for an absent Moonbeam as I work with a little All Star on her self-portrait to hang in the hallway of the school. It was a ritual we did every fall and I'm happy to say still exists 12 years after I departed the school (I will always feel a sense of pride when I learn that some of our traditions from yesterday remain true today). Like my tongue. I'm my father's son, and when I concentrate (like I am writing this post) my tongue comes out.

But back to the photo. It was sent to me by a Brownie who was celebrating her 28th birthday - I never had her, but she graduated a couple years after I left. She found it in her box of treasures and it put a smile on my face. It's surreal to think that this kindergartener grew up, graduated, went to college and is now approaching 30, but still remembered me and wanted to share this picture.

Photos like these are the best, a capsule in time and a memory of what once was (the blink of an eye).

I managed to stay in, under a blanket, for the last 24 hours. Okay, there was no blanket, but I didn't leave my house nor go to any of my commitments. I graded, read, cleaned a little bit and drank lots of liquids. I have to be on top of this cough before things kick off again. I know when it gets bronchial and I get scared. We're working on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment