Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Optimistic Optimistic Optimistic Optimistic - If We Don't Have Hope, Then What Is Left?

On the right, a photo of the 100+ MLK essays read, scored and deliberated with a committee of professionals chosen to select the top 3 prizes for 2019. We were good to select the top 14, but then it got trickier to narrow it to the final 3. We ended up with a unanimous vote for the 3, but then had to wrestle a bit about honorable mention - a tradition at Fairfield University since the mid-2000s.

I wish I could say that my ongoing battle with Workday and getting my teachers paid and myself reimbursed was the same.

The trouble is that the employees who used to be hired to process so much of the paper work are no longer with me or the University. The other problem is that the teachers I hire and take with me to national conferences are not University employees. Although I put their charges on my credit card (because I received grants to cover these costs), it goes beyond the parameter and scope of the new University accounting system to have a way to reimburse me for the accrued charges. It's crazy. Although I spent all day Saturday and Sunday (a weekend granted) during our winter break (my colleagues aren't int he office) trying to figure out the system to be reimbursed the charges on my credit card, I still failed. It doesn't work.

So, I visit one office to tell me I need to contact so and so. I can a returned email that so and so is not back on campus until January 14. Then I hear call so and so. I call them and they don't pick up. I do all I can, then I have to put it aside for other work that is equally as important.

Some of these charges are from July 2018. More occurred in November. It shouldn't be this difficult, especially when I have brought in outside funding to pay for these programs (which, I should add, are applauded and celebrated by many at the national level).

I said before the holidays that I am waving a white flag. I'm still waving it, but I'm optimistic that eventually someone will hear me and help me.

I mean, it's taken two and a half years to finally have a new laptop ordered. I've been living on my iPhone trying to get the work done (okay, an loaners and my iPads).

The Gods must be crazy. I've said that once, and I will say it again.

No wonder I have pinched nerves!

No comments:

Post a Comment