Thursday, January 10, 2019

Harboring 1st Thoughts on @FairfieldPubLib #FPLOBOT Selection of @JackieWoodson Texts @FairfieldU

It was a pleasure and an honor to be part of the Fairfield Public Library reveal of this year's One Book, One Town selection that premiered at the Fairfield University Book Store. A few months ago, I was told who was coming, but I was sworn to absolute secrecy.

My response, "Really?"

I did well, though, (phew! it was hard) and was given permission to share the secret with a few in my closest circle so that I could begin planning with my network of teachers, the National Writing Project, grants, and teacher-leaders in CWP-Fairfield. I read the the book a month ago and quickly began thinking about the content of the chosen novel.

It is Jacqueline Woodson's Harbor Me, and I'll keep much of what I want to say for the February 28th evening where I will join writer Sonya Huber to discuss the impact this author has had on our own understanding of the world during a community event at the library.

For now, however (and not to give away too much), here are a few things I'm thinking about.
  • First, for the last five years CWP-Fairfield has hosted Ubuntu Academy, a two-week young adult literacy lab open to immigrant and refugee youth to read around and write about their world. I see an audience for this text.
  • Second, this semester, Harbor Me has been added as a touchtone text for two courses, one undergraduate and one graduate, where we will think about the academic promise of Woodson's story, especially in relation to 2019 America.
  • Third, I've already secured funding so that I can distribute Woodson books to schools that I work with, including a middle school in Bridgeport, Connecticut who has similar demographics as the characters in this book.
  • Fourth, it's not public knowledge, but I've received an award for this summer (I can say that for now) that will allow me to host a teacher institute for writing that embraces diverse stories and that highlights the ways educators can learn with students who have learning dis/abilities to share their stories and to find their voices through our National Writing Project model. Indeed, Jacqueline Woodson's books will be central.
I had to go through my files to find a photograph from when I first met Jacqueline Woodson during the Louisiana State University Young Adult Literature Conference hosted by Steven Bickmore in 2015. At the time, she was premiering Brown Girl Dreaming which I've used in many Writing Our Lives and Writing in the Limelight events at Fairfield University and the Fairfield University bookstore (I look at this photo of me and have to admit, I look 20 years younger than I do right now - the work has aged me. Maybe I should shave again).

What I can state here is that I am truly excited that Jacqueline Woodson was selected for this year's OBOT in Fairfield and I can't wait to use her inspirational writing, thought-provoking storytelling, and pro-youth narratives to work with K-12 teachers, administrators, and students through CWP-Fairfield and my roles at Fairfield University.

Here's to the selection! Woot Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment