Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Dear Dr. Crandall, Day #11, We Scheduled 62 Teachers for Your PD Instead of 7. We Hope That Is Okay.

The initial plan for the 12th Day of this crud, was to teach my introduction to the Philosophy of Education class to 23 undergraduates, and then head out to do schools for a PD session with 7 teachers.

I was contacted, however, on day 11 of the crud to learn, 62 teachers signed up for your session. Well, that changed things a bit. I guess the title, "The Day You Begin: Harboring the Art of Teaching Writing in 2019" was appealing (and they don't even know the tricks up my sleeve, which include highlight the two One Book, One Town reads by Jacqueline Woodson. Hmmm. Getting excitement wherever I can. Actually, I'm really excited about these two texts to teach writing and so tomorrow's PD will be a celebration of what is possible. It's sort of a petri-dish to field-test where K-8 teachers might go with instruction.

Meanwhile, back to Fairfield. It still amazes me that one of my staple courses has become a philosophy course. It is not my training, but each time I'm asked to teach it, I get a little more entrenched in the readings and the thinking that goes deeply into why do we teach what we do, and where do our beliefs intertwine with what we thing should be taught? Really, it's simply a great opportunity to work with 20 students (well, 23, because I always allow the wait list in).

All this is to say that I'm back to my long days (and I guess I'm rested up enough to handle them). I'm actually excited to teach again, as it motivates me to think critically about my research and to do more work in K-12 schools for in-practice teachers.

Still sneezing. Still coughing. But it is nowhere near where it was for the last week.

So now a more important question. Who is inviting me to dinner tonight? I will be hungry at around 6 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment