Thursday, January 3, 2019

It's Still Early in 2019, So I Guess It's Excusable That 2018 Is Still Hanging On With Its Claws.

So, I returned to work. Well, at least I tried to work. Rather than have the rainbow twirl from hell, the computer decided it would give me the blueberry, azure spiral of death. The machine just doesn't want to work, and the first thing I did was call the technology people on campus to ask if a new machine arrived. Their response, "Oh, Dr. Crandall. We never sent that in. Our bad."

Yes. It is almost impossible to do my job at the University when I have a computer that doesn't work. It has been on the fritz for three years and serviced more times than I can count. Rather than fix the computer, I've been given a two-year runaround, working from my IPhone, my iPads and the loaners when they come my way. This is how 2018 is trying to hang on and not let go. It wants to wrap a cloak around my throat and frustrate me into giving up. I have work to do and can't wait. I will trudge one!

The irony is that the computer decided to freeze when I was inquiring about whether or not the new computer arrived (which it hasn't because it wasn't ordered). So, I got another loaner.

Breathe in. Breathe out. I'm much too upbeat to give into the shenanigans of terrible bureaucracies.

I did deposit a check for a tremendous grant, managed to download a few materials I need for the next couple of days, and then watched 6 hours of blueberry tilt-o-whirl.  That's when I gave up, gave in, went home and decided to cook.

Akbar came for dinner because he wanted to read Laurie Halse Anderson's Shout and to catch up about his life over the last few weeks. I'm proud to say that he got a high A in his freshman English course (and I stayed out of it - let him be him).

When he announced he was coming for dinner, I scrambled to find something to make and even googled "fast and easy chicken recipes." I found one that asked if I had honey, soy sauce, and garlic, which I did. The next thing I know, I'm making a wonderful stir fry with those ingredients and it was delicious. Of course, I didn't get on my semester like I had planned to, but we ate well.

Rather, I now have extreme pains in my shoulder and neck from trying to do my job on a cellphone. The screen is too tiny and I simply have too many materials to sift through. Ah, but the work needs to be done.

I welcome the work of 2019 because I have no fear of it. I do, however, challenge the working conditions of 2018. I can't work this way any longer. It's unreasonable and impossible.

I'm hoping by this time next week I will have a new computer. I do have a loaner now. That is one saving grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment