Thursday, January 24, 2019

And You Get a Ginger Snaps! And You Get a Ginger Snaps! And You Get a Ginger Snaps! (Back to Teaching)

I said to my colleagues yesterday that I feel, at times, I'm living in the movie Groundhog's Day, with Bill Murray, still trying to get everything right. I've been back-to-back with Philosophy of Education, a service learning course with Columbus K-8, for three years now, and although the students change, and the texts I use differ, it continues to feel like the same thing over and over. I don't feel I vary the points of each class much, but I always feel like, "Didn't I just say this?"

The class is a turbo class, so I like to come with fruit and cookies to keep everyone awake. The Triple Ginger Snaps from Trader Joe's is a hit, and it is the perfect spice for a mid-afternoon class.

I tried my luck with the cookies at Columbus School, too, when I introduced teachers to the writings of Jacqueline Woodson and we had a conversation about immigration, English as a Second Language, belonging, and the importance of all stories in the work that we do. I always know when the workshops are a success when teachers approach me afterwards saying, "I want more. Where can I sign up?" We simply did a dialogue exercise, a write and share, and a sampling of Woodson's writing. They were quickly sold. It wasn't me. It was the brilliant author.

The cookies helped.

I collected surveys from the teacher and am hoping that many signed up for workshops with their students. I've found that PD is best when I can model instruction and allow them to critique what worked and didn't work. I was stoked to be invited by the entire 2nd grade team who were ready to go as soon as possible with possible work.

Win!

I was also happy to see teachers excited about doing the Poetry For Peace contest, so the school can contribute this year (they had a winner in 4th grade two years ago!).

The day, however, wiped me out. In need of sleep and now it is time for a writing weekend. Of course, I have meetings first...lots of them. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment