Monday, January 28, 2019

Humbled Togetherness: This is a @MsFleming93 @konewvine @SUSchoolofEd @CWPFairfield Story About @Trevornoah

Photo One: Posted by doctoral student and Westhill High School extraordinaire, Sarah Fleming, on a Facebook post yesterday afternoon. Go #ProjectLit!

We, the School of Education at Syracuse University, especially the Reading Language Arts Center, are a family that is hard to describe in words. We are literacy. We are story. We are believers in the magic of hard work, literature, research, togetherness and design. I learned so much from the land of blue and orange and I have so much to repay.

Rewind. A phenomenal human being that I met while doing my doctoral work at Syracuse is currently working at a school in Syracuse. He was 15 when I began mentoring him and now, as family, he is in education. He's also helped me to design the literacy programs at CWP-Fairfield - been here from the start. He's visited colleague's classrooms at Syracuse University and is a loyal Orange fan through and through.

Photo Two: Mr. Keith Newvine,
West Genny teacher (doctoral student in RLAC of the SOE at Syracuse University) and Mr. Abu Bility, CWP-youth coordinator in the summer and student mentor in Syracuse schools during the year, are seated together at the MLK Celebration featuring Trevor Noah. Mr. Newvine, like Mrs. Fleming, will be presenting at the National Council of Teachers of English Academic Research conference in Birmingham, Alabama, in two weeks. Again, #ProjectLit! Woot Woot!

Guess what: Mr. Abu Bility and I will be at that same conference presenting, and so will Dr. Marcelle Haddix. The family thing.

Rewind: Yesterday, I came home from a phenomenal poetry reading (post to come) to see that Ms. Fleming had an extra ticket to the convocation for Trevor Noah. I reached out immediately, but was too late. A woman, however, who happened to be friends with Keith Newvine, had a ticket. I contacted him, who had me reach out to her, who wasn't sure if she could attend. Text message arrives for Keith...I have a ticket for Abu Bility.

Fast Forward: Abu Bility sits a row in front of Keith to see Trevor Noah. Now, should I live in Syracuse, I would be there too. I no longer do. But Abu does. I know first hand that he and his identical twin, Lossine, worship Trevor Noah. They love all late night comedians. Why do I know this? Because I'm an early bird and I have heard the laughters downstairs in my home during the summer months when they are in Connecticut. I'm trying to sleep.

Back to reality. 21st century reality. This all took place in 35 minutes (55 minutes before the event began). When Abu sent me a photo of the stage and then Keith sent me the photo of the two of them (they did not know each other until this event), I said, "Okay, Great Whatever. This is Ubuntu and what it is all about."

Humbled togetherness. Family.

And now we get to reunite with Dr. Marcelle Haddix (who we also mutually know) in Birmingham, Alabama. It's all good. All of us together.

Let the SU family state connected. Let us never forget how important we are to one another. (And, if powerful SU people are reading this, give me a call, because I'd love to see a way for Abu Bility to do a Masters degree in the School of Education....just sayin).

And, I'm a Cicero-North Syracuse High School grad. All power to Syracuse University for bringing the greater CNY community together (I mean, West Genny....eeks. I think they are sworn enemies to Northstars....)(and I'm sure the Bulldogs of Nottingham hate us both). But, we are on the same page here.

LOVE THAT THIS HAPPENED. Trevor Noah....you did this. Thanks for being you.

No comments:

Post a Comment