Monday, January 7, 2019

From A Borrowed Computer Screen To an Office Window Screen - The Day That Just Was

The skies weren't this blue when my day began. I got up and ran five miles and it was warm. I came home, edited for a little while and took Glamis for a walk. Halfway out, the clouds came in, the winds came from the north and it got frigid. It even sleeted on the two of us. By the time I made it to my office the skies went blue and as I worked more, I enjoyed seeing the cumulous clouds (okay, last year's blog) and the shapes that filled my imagination as I worked on their, there, they're.

Actually, we had a record number of MLK entries for middle school students and, I have to say, youth cultures are really riled up at current situations in the United States. They are biting at the bit to become voters and told stories of their lives, their families and their dreams, all through the knowledge they learned about MLK at their schools. Perhaps now, more than ever, young people are seeing a reason why they need to be informed and work hard in school.

I stayed in my office until the skies switched to sunset and I realized I should probably get home before it got too dark. My mind has been on Chitunga who is without a phone until Tuesday and my mini-panic button jumped on because I hadn't heard from him or seen him. Moving to emails as a form of communication just doesn't cut it. I can only imagine how painful it was during the snail-mail days (we at least had the phones attached to walls when we needed them).

We're spoiled.

I'm happy to say that his new number is up and works with his IPad, so we were still able to do our Sunday night ritual of Facetiming.

Meanwhile, My right arm, shoulder, neck and back are throbbing in pain (a pinched nerve, I think). I can stretch and run and move and throw, it's only when I'm writing that the pain shoots down my arm. I think I need a deep massage, as I've been running my shoulders up against corners of the wall.

Today, it's the first meetings of many this week and I'm determined to get my holiday writing/editing goals finished. When the grant officer stopped by my office she said, "I knew you'd be in today."

Why? Because she's there, too. Without the support we once had, we are consistently in our offices on weekends simply trying to stay afloat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment