Sunday, June 9, 2019

Oh, Those Rare, Beautiful Days of June with No Humidity and Cool Nights. They are Perfection

Tunga announced he was library-bound, so I got household bound. First, I had to clean the cars off because they were doused in bird poop, then I decided to tackle the garage because it is a warehouse of everything we don't want but for some reason have begun storing there. Then I attempted to clean the siding where the carpenter bees spit out their wood mud, but my house is super-a## tall, so when I climbed that high, I simply freaked out, especially with no one to hold the ladder.

I went for a run, instead. Then, I did groceries, shopped around for cleaning stuff, and then got a text from Marsha Alibrandi, who retired from Fairfield University as a history educator, but was never replaced (that's the trend in high education....they go and poof, that position is no longer needed, despite the fact that the position is still needed).

She was at the retirement for Ginny Kelly, which I was going to go, but then declined because of the "fire" that was supposed to happen at Mt. Pleasant (which eventually did happen, but it was just the kid and me, which I enjoyed thoroughly). There is something about warm flames on a cold night that keeps me mesmerized for hours. We also burned a lot of winter debris that has been collecting around the house.

Ginny's party was wonderful, and I'm glad I went (it was actually down the road and easy to get to). They brought in Taco Loco to cater, so when you were hungry, all you needed to do was go to the truck. It was delicious, and perfect since Tunga went out to dinner with friends and I didn't want to BBQ if it was just going to be me. It was wonderful to celebrate her retirement (and to get this photo with her and her granddaughter), but I really wish she'd hang on for another decade to be with me. She's wonderful, kind, supportive, friendly, non-competitive, wise, compassionate, intelligent and stable. Her presence will definitely be missed.

I came home and kicked up the fire, where Chitunga soon joined me. We sat out back for 3 hours simply looking at the flames and occasionally saying something to one another.

I love this kid. I still think he's a figment of my imagination, but he really is a remarkable, humble, focused, genuine human being. I simply cherish the days he's home, which are fewer and fewer these days.

Now it's Sunday. The day is supposed to be just as nice, but I need to focus on the week ahead and can't spend so much time on house chores. I need to get back to the laptop and return to my usual nerdy self. I do, however, love the days of physical labor outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment