Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Good Bye, Heated Florida. Until We Meet Again. It's Time Now to Head North To Run an Institute of My Own.

Who would have thought so many years ago that two summers with Dr. Steven Bickmore at the Louisiana State University Young Adult Literature Conference would result in the Wonder Twin powers of red headed funk-master and a crazy, manic gray-frog machine? We
met, we bonded, and we put heads together for our national project sites.

The Great Whatever has done the rest! I am thankful for the friendship and for the last couple of days that she shared another incredible human being with me, Ms. Doo, and I will forever do and Ms. Doo does. What would Doo do? (Crap, I need to get a Doo for my writing project, too)

What an angel! Doo is a lover of young kids, of words, of storytellers, of the writing project and especially Dr. James (what's not to love). Departing Emerald Coast Writing Project this morning was hard, and this is because the two of them brought so much joy my way as they shared the work on their campus and, at least with Dr. James, in her home. Susan James truly is my Wonder Twin (and I know this after spending 24 hours a day with her since last Thursday....our work ethic is 100% in sync)

We departed early this morning for the airport and I was saddened that I wouldn't have another day to work with their teachers and that I can't pack both Susan and Doo to bring back to the Connecticut Writing Project with me. It's so great to have like-minded brains to collaborate with and it simply would be a dream if we were on the same campus. We both work full-throttle, but balance one another out to say, "Put yourself first. Take care of yourself. The teachers and kids need us to be healthy and ready."

I packed, however, and spent most of my day in airports. I know that Chitunga and Michael are at home, and they conjured some notion of a barbecue when I return, which I'd love to make happen, but something tells me we'll likely go out.

I wish I could rewind time a little and start this little rendezvous in Pensacola all over again.  I needed the space away from Fairfield. Worked just as hard, but it was wonderful to have a change of scenery.

And with that, I'm off. Thanks for everything Emerald Coast Writing Project....you'll be with me in everything I do this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment