Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Emerald Coast Writing Project - Week Two for Them, But Day One For Crandall...What a Fabulous Crew

Dr. Susan James was on to something by inviting me to come speak to her 37 teachers in Pensacola. Florida. Why? It's a true honor and special experience to work with educators in another state, especially in a National Writing Project summer institute that has its own flare and flavoring. How wonderful the world would be if all Directors could be exchanged to experience two sites a year! I learned so much yesterday from the Emerald Coast Writing Project, even though I was invited as a guest to present.

What Crandall Learned
  • There is tremendous power in filling the room with Children's books as textual models to teach multiple writing strategies. Throughout the day, I believe the site leaders referenced 30+ of these books that were lying around the room,
  • The Collective Strategy List - every time a new writing strategy is experienced, the teachers are naming them on a wall of remembrance - Today was day 5 and the whiteboard was already filled,
  • Writing the Way In - We often start with a conversation and/or dialogue, following a shared reading to kick off the day. ECWP welcomes the teachers and says, "Go write! You have 30 minutes to sculpt. Get out of this room and compose" (and the teachers do)
  • Dr. Susan James is a pro. She excites the teachers, stimulates them, motivates them, and makes them proud to be a part of her institute (I think I might need to dye my hair red so I have such rapport to my own teachers). 
  • It's extremely important to have a Doo. By that, I mean, Susan has a retired teacher who loves teaching and never wants to leave as her on-site, in-love supporter of everything to do with the writing project and working with kids. This retiree is named Doo and she is a total gem, giving up her time to make sure everyone is happy, content, learning, and proud to be part of the site's work. Each site deserves such a backbone.
Dr. James brought me to share the CWP story, however, especially with Ubuntu, but I was also able to lead a perspectives exercise (well, eggsersize), as well. As always, Abu was the hit and although he was unable to make it with me to Florida, his FaceTime talk one the hearts and minds of the teachers.

Today will be Day #2, and I'm excited to lead another workshop with these Floridian phenomenons. It's a 5:30 wake-up call to head into the office, but the early rise is worth every second. 

Here we go, palm trees. I'm ready to lead another workshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment